08 Oct Full-Course: Value Stream Mapping 101: Designing Waste-Free Laboratory Processes
6.0 Contact hours ($59.99)
Greetings and Welcome to Value Stream Mapping!
You will learn the concept of designing a simplistic value stream map based on your laboratory process. We will develop a current state map by understanding how to identify the supplier, customer and 5-7 high level steps in between. The learner will identify non-value add and value-add work, bottlenecks and redundant paths within this current state. We will review the completed map with our team and brainstorm opportunities to improve the process by the elimination of non-value add steps or process redesign. The goal of this course is to learn the skill of designing a future state map by implementing process improvements that will ultimately eliminate wasteful steps and design a waste free and efficient process. We will discuss relevant metrics that will be applied to the value stream map in order to accurately measure the activities in the current state in comparison to the redesigned future state. The metrics include: cycle time, takt time, percent efficiency and many others.
In this course, we will learn how to develop each section of a current and future state map in a step by step format. It is helpful if you print out the value stream map template provided with this course and practice each step as we proceed.
Learning Objectives: At the end of this course the learner will be able to:
- Summarize wasteful activities in a current state map
- Estimate the origin of non-value added activities within the laboratory work flow
- Describe redesign ideas for a future state map to contain only value add processes
As a part of this course, the learner will complete the following:
- Several short instructional videos
- Reflection Questions- critical thinking: The answer may require you go back and review the lessons prior to answering the questions.
- Quiz-10 questions
- Development of a current state Value Stream Map
- List 3 opportunities for improvement